The superlative is used to say what thing, person, or idea has the most of a particular quality within a group or of its kind.
Superlative adjectives normally come before any other adjectives.
||Snowdon is not the highest mountain in Britain.
Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Britain.
|Mount Snowdon is 3,559 feet high.||Ben Nevis is 4,408 feet high.|
FORMING THE SUPERLATIVE
|Words of one syllable ending in ‘e’.||
Add -st to the end of the word.
|wide – widest|
|The Amazon River is the widest river in the world.|
|Words of one syllable, with one vowel and one consonant at the end.||Double the consonant and add -est to the end of the word.||big – biggest|
|In 2010 a dog called Giant George was given the title of the biggest dog in the world.|
|Words of one syllable, with more than one vowel or more than one consonant at the end.||Add – est to the end of the word.||high – highest|
|Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the word. (But it isn’t the tallest mountain in the world.)|
|Words of two syllables, ending in ‘y’.||Change ‘y’ to ‘i’, and add -est to the end of the word.||happy – happiest|
|In 2013 Australia was named the happiest country in the world.|
|Words of two syllables or more, not ending in ‘y’.||Place ‘the most’ before the adjective.||beautiful – the most beautiful|
|Some people say that the Maldives have the most beautiful beaches in the world.|
Don’t forget that some adjectives are irregular:-
- ‘good’ becomes ‘the best’
- ‘bad’ becomes ‘the worst’
- ‘far’ becomes ‘the furthest’
- “Jill is the best student in the class .”
- “Jack is the worst student in the class.“
- “In our solar system the planet Pluto is the furthest planet from the Sun.”
!Note – Have you noticed that these superlatives are preceded by ‘the‘.
- “The Rio de la Plata river, on the southeast coastline of South America, is the widest river in the world.”
- According to the List of World records Carol Yager (1960-1994), from Michigan, is the fattest person ever to live, weighing 725 kg (1,600 lb).
- “Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.”
- “I think that Castle Combe is the prettiest village in England.”
- “Arguably, Rome is the most beautiful city in the world.”