Do you know what “jump the queue” means and why the British hate it when someone does that? That’s just one of the many interesting, and at times weird, facts about British Culture. Ethan and Andrea discuss this, as well as any similarities or differences in American culture.
Now, you can also watch us on YouTube
- Cultural differences between the US and Great Britain
Words You’ll Learn:
- Come on to someone
- Frown upon something
- Road trip
- Pop around / pop in
- Burn bridges with someone
- “Some restaurants might add a discretionary service charge to your bill”
- Astonishing: extremely surprising or impressive; amazing.
- “That’s quintessentially British”: used to emphasize the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.
- Brit: a person from Great Britain.
- Give you the side-eye: a look in which you move your eyes to the side without turning your face, showing that you are annoyed by someone, do not respect them, or do not believe what they are saying.
- Dirty looks: If someone gives you a dirty look, they look at you in a way which shows that they are angry with you.
- Faux pas: an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation.
- “Posh, expensive London restaurant”: (British) of a high social class.
- “European have a bad rap when they go to the US because they tip very little” = bad reputation.
- Trade–off: a situation in which you accept something bad in order to have something good.
- “In the US you have really terrific attention at restaurants”: very good.
- Fee: an amount of money paid for a particular piece of work or for a particular right or service.
- “People use to take out a student loan“: an amount of money that you borrow from a bank.
- “They had exorbitant fees”: an exorbitant price, amount of money etc is much higher than it should be.
- Entry-level job: a type of job that typically requires minimal education, training and experience.
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave a Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!