Where to buy what
|Ladies Clothing Shop or Boutique|
|Mens Clothing Shop or Tailor’s|
|Shoe Shop or Cobbler’s|
|Toy Shop or Toy Store|
|All or most of the above||Department Store|
|All or most of the above||Supermarket|
Useful Shopping Phrases
|Finding a Shop||Opening Hours|
- Can you recommend a good toy/clothes shop?
- Is there a chemists/supermarket in the area?
- Where can I get toothpaste/pet food?
- Where’s the nearest shopping centre?
- There’s a really good bookshop just around the corner.
- You can buy that here in the hotel.
- The best toy shop is in the shopping centre.
- The nearest one is a few miles away.
- What time do you open, please?
- What time do you close, please?
- What are your opening hours?
- Are you open all day?
- Are you open on Sundays?
- We’re open 24/7. (24 hours a day / 7 days a week)
- We’re closed at lunchtime, between 12 and 2pm.
- We’re open from 9am till 6pm, Monday to Friday.
|Shopping for Clothes||Paying|
- Could you help me, please?
- Could you tell me where the ……………. department is?
- Excuse me, I’m looking for a ………. .
- Is there somewhere I can try this on, please?
- Does it suit me?
- Do you have this in a (larger/smaller size) (different colour), please?
- Do you do alterations?
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Is this in the sale?
- It’s too long / short.
- It’s too tight / loose.
- The ladies / gents changing rooms are over there.
- You can bring it back and exchange it or get a refund within 2 weeks if you keep the receipt.
- Do you take credit cards?
- Do you give credit?
- Do you have a loyalty card?
- Does it have a warranty?
- Can I pay by cheque?
- Do you offer a cash discount?
- Could I have a VAT receipt, please?
- Could I leave my bags here and pick them up later?
- We take all the major credit cards.
- We only accept cheques with a cheque card.
- We are offering 6 months free credit with no deposit.
- Sorry, no.
- Yes, certainly.
HERE WE HAVE TWO CONVERSATIONS. THE FIRST IS BETWEEN MRS SMITH AND HER YOUNGER SON JOHN AT THE SHOPS. THE SECOND IS BETWEEN MRS SMITH AND A SHOP ASSISTANT.
|It’s Saturday morning and Mrs. Smith is going shopping.|
|Mrs S:||John, I’m going to the shops. Is there anything you want?|
|John:||Yes please! Can you pick up my magazine from the newsagents?|
|Mrs S:||Of course. Do you want to come with me?|
|John:||No way, I’m going round to Mike’s house, sorry.|
|Mrs S:||No problem. I’ll be about an hour, be home by 5 o’clock at the latest.|
|John:||O.K. I’ll see you later.|
|A bit later……|
|Mrs S:||John are you home?|
|John||Yes mum, I’m up stairs.|
|Mrs S:||Come down here, I bought you a new Nike T-shirt, I want you to try it on.|
|John||Nike? Great I’m coming!|
|A few minutes later…..|
|Mrs S:||Well, does it fit?|
|John||I think it’s a bit too small.|
|Mrs S:||Let’s have a look. Hmmm, I think you’ve grown again!|
|John||I can’t wear it though.|
|Mrs S:||Do you like it?|
|John||Yeah, it’s a nice colour.|
|Mrs S:||I’ll take it back to the supermarket and see if I can change it.|
Mrs Smith had bought a nice new T-shirt for John, but when he tried it on it didn’t fit.
|It’s Saturday evening and Mrs Smith has to return the T-shirt.|
|Mrs S:||Excuse me, can you help me?|
|Shop Assistant||Yes of course, what can I do for you?|
|Mrs S:||I bought this T-shirt for my son this afternoon, but it doesn’t fit him, it’s too small.|
|Shop Assistant||Do you want to change it or get a refund.|
|Mrs S:||I’d like to change it for a larger size. Do you have these in large?|
|Shop Assistant||I’ll just check. Let’s see, yes we have large or extra large, which would you prefer?|
|Mrs S:||I think large will be fine, it’s for my son.|
|Shop Assistant||That’s fine, if it doesn’t fit just bring it back again. If you take it to the customer service desk, they’ll sort it all out for you.|
|Mrs S:||Thank you. Just as a matter of interest do you give refunds?|
|Shop Assistant||Yes, of course. You can bring any clothing items back up to three weeks after purchase, but you must keep the reciept.|
|Mrs S:||I see, thanks again.|
|Shop Assistant:||You’re welcome.|