We are thrilled to announce that the seventh edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is available for preorder!
Many, many updates are included. But first, let us say thank you. Over the last 10 years, you’ve asked us more than 30,000 questions, here on the blog and via email, phone calls, and social media. And, you’ve made many great suggestions along the way. The APA Style team considered and incorporated all of your feedback into every decision we made about the seventh edition!
You can place your preorder now, and the Publication Manual (7th ed.) will be published and ready for delivery beginning in October 2019. You can choose from hardcover, paperback, and new tabbed spiral-bound formats! Ebook versions will also be available in October 2019 and are not part of the preorder.
Highlights include the following:
- full color throughout for the first time
- debut of a tabbed spiral-bound edition, in addition to the paperback, hardcover, and ebook formats
- an updated chapter on guidelines for writing without bias that addresses age, disability, gender, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality, including the use of the singular “they”
- an all-new chapter about APA journal article reporting standards (JARS), which now include new guidelines for qualitative and mixed methods research as well as updated guidelines for quantitative research
- new student-specific resources, including a sample paper, guidelines for formatting an annotated bibliography, and recommendations for adapting a dissertation or thesis into a journal article
- best practices for ethical writing, including discussions on avoiding plagiarism and updated guidance on navigating the publication process and disseminating research findings
- 100+ new reference examples, with new templates that offer a uniform approach to referencing print and electronic sources
- corresponding in-text citations with all reference examples
- reference examples covering websites, social media, classroom resources, and much more
- simplified guidelines for writing in-text citations
- more than 40 new sample tables and figures
In the days and weeks to come, we will post much more about the new edition. But for now, let us just say this, we heard you: How many spaces should appear after a period at the end of a sentence? One!